Monday, February 18, 2019

Following A Treasure Map

Dear Traveler,

I always come across the most interesting things!  This time,  because of a treasure map!

I don't remember if this map was given to me, or if I found it, but it was fun following it and finding the treasure.   I was at Riverwood  and the map was showing a picture of a huge log across the river somewhere,from the logging mill. 

I was trying to decide if I wanted to swim over, or walk down to the bridge to cross over. I was excited and wanted to get there as soon as possible so I swam over.  I shook myself as dry as possible and started wandering around, looking for the right log. 

A fox scampered by, which startled me,  and since I didn't need any archery practice,  I let him run free.  They are too cute to kill anyway,  unless you absolutely need a fox pelt.  I did keep my eye out for a deer, though, because I had my taste set for deer meat for dinner that evening.  There were some pretty pink and blue spiky flowers growing all around which made a lovely setting. I wanted to pick some to take home and put in a vase on the table in front of the fireplace, but decided I was taking too much time. The sun was getting lower and it soon would be dark. I knew I would be walking back by way of the bridge. I might be loaded down with deer meat,  and treasure,  and who knew what might be lurking in the river in the dark!

Finally I saw this huge log, with green moss and mushrooms growing on it. The largest end looked like it had come out of the ground, roots and all. It had been there for a long time, I could tell. I walked around the the large end, which was hollow from rot, and so large I could walk inside it for a little ways if I stooped down,  like I was sneaking.  Just within my reach was a chest!!

I opened it and began rummaging through it, excited for what I would find.  There was some coins, and a few potions. The two things I especially like to find when I'm out and about. There was a few ingredients,  which are always good to have more of. I don't remember what else was in there,  but it was such fun to follow an actual treasure map and really find a treasure!!

I put the things in a pouch, and wandered up the hillside a little ways, hoping to find some deer that might be coming down to the river for their evening drink. Sure enough there was a family strolling down,  nibbling at the grasses as they made their way down to the water. There was a large male with a large rack!  Then a female and two babies.  I stood entranced.  They were so majestic and pretty. And they were a family!!  My appetite for deer meat for dinner suddenly left me.  How could I kill that majestic looking beast, a father protecting and providing for his family?!  And the female...well, she was a mother, and her babies needed her.  The babies...well,  they were just too cute!!

Oh well,  I'm sure I'll have something in the cupboard to eat. I know I have vegetable soup! 

11 comments:

  1. Good morning Shirley Curry, I love to hear about Skyrim through you sounds like you had a fun day. I also love playing Skyrim special edition. Have a great! day, MomInvadesFun, GmaSue Corso

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your journey following the treasure map!! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After eating my dinner of apple cabbage stew and drinking from a bottle of alto wine at a table near the firepit of The Bannered Mare, I purchased a honey nut treat, my favorite snack, and took it along with the remainder of my alto wine to my rented room. Sitting in a chair on the adjoining balcony overlooking the common room of the inn, I read the second entry in the diary. As the writer described following a map to possible treasure in the unlikely town of Riverwood of all places, I perched on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the treasure. As I read, I soon realized the real treasure wasn’t the treasure chest itself but the writer’s description of the journey. It was obvious the writer wasn’t concerned with merely finding the treasure chest as quickly as possible. Instead the writer took time to notice and appreciate the small details encountered while traveling, such as the scampering fox, the mossy log, the spiky flowers, and especially the majestic deer family. Like the writer, I couldn’t have killed either the fox or the deer. Hence, I have a deep respect for the values of the diary’s author. Alas I must put away this compelling diary so that I can retire for the night, but I look forward to finding time to read the next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley, I think part of the magic of Skyrim is that many of our stories could dovetail with one another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading about your journey following the treasure map!! I can't wait to read more! Please allow me to post on Greetingsmag

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment. No I don't think my Blog belongs on there. That seems to be a page ful of short greetings which has nothing to do with my kind of Blogs here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the feeling of finding a treasure map that actually takes you places. I remember it from when I was young, and the adults where I lived sometimes hid something, and then left us kids with a treasure map that we had to try and figure out, and I think it was candy at the end.

    I also agree, one would not shoot a cute fox, unless one actually needed the pelt for something. I would also change my dinner plans after such a sight. I mean, sometimes you just have to think that a vegeatable soup is just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Izzy!! Glad I decided to look back this far..thank you so much..I never get notified when anyone comments way back here!
    That was so fun to learn that the adults hid things with treasure maps left for you kids!! What fun that would be!!! I wish I had ever thought of doing that with my sons... they would have had such fun with that!!!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete