Thursday, April 25, 2019

The Majestic Dragon

  Ambling through one of the snow capped mountain ranges that border Skyrim, I was feeling the cold seeping through my fur lined armor.  I was looking for a shelter, like hollow or rock crevice,  where I could just hunker down for awhile to warm up.  I finally found a reasonable shelter from at least the biting wind among several, tightly grouped, pine trees.

  I was sitting there gazing out over the beautiful land sloping down and away from me;  the snow eventually blending into the golden hues of the winter's dying growth of grasses, then farther down-slope the greens, reds and purples where the grass and flowers still felt the warmth of the sun.  My eyes were following the mincing steps of a buck as he grazed,  lifting his head once in awhile to sniff the air and listen for any sounds of danger nearby. He bore a magnificent, heavy rack of antlers. Beautiful creature.

  Suddenly his head snapped up at the same time that I heard a mighty roaring coming with the wind from up-mountain!  A bear?  No, totally different sound. I jumped up, moving out of the shelter of the pines and saw a huge, flying creature as it soared through the air down the mountain slope.  It was a dragon, of course.  I watched as it fixed it's attention on the buck.  No, I breathed out quietly, don't kill it.   I had my bow,  and a few arrows with me,  and a sword.  If I had to I would intervene,  maybe I could distract it.  I piked up some large rocks,  and started throwing them as the dragon cruised by me only a few yards away. The buck was startled enough to go bounding away down into the meadow,  just as the dragon let go with a fiery blast from it's open mouth! 

  I was thankful that the buck got away but now the dragon's attention was focused on me!!  It could be angry or hungry!  It wheeled  majestically and came my way;  I ran for the trees.  I neither wanted to feel the brunt of it's anger,  or be its lunch! I watched from the shelter of the pines. To me dragons's are a thing of beauty, same as the buck, or any other wild animal. Some could be dangerous no doubt and sometimes you would have to kill them, in self defense or to protect others, but I'd never kill such beauty for sport! I realized I was whispering...'please, please just go on your way.'

  This particular dragon was a dusty gray with a slight golden cast to it's scales,  blending to a red around it's eyes and down the front of it's throat. It's tail was tipped as with three spears. A deadly weapon if it swung and connected with you!  The sun was shining on it just right, in a way that made it gleam even more golden.   I gloried in it's beauty but worried about it's intent!!

  It swept past the pines,  knowing where I was hiding, and blew out another fiery blast directed at the very spot in which I was hiding.  Ouch! It caught me a good one,  and I felt the burning fire! I dropped to the ground and rolled, slapping at any exposed flesh.  Hot!  Hot!  I watched as he circled around, ready for another run at me. I ran for some rocks and scrambled deep among them.

  He knew where I was.  His next pass was as accurate as the previous one, and the fiery blast caught me again.  I wasn't going to last long at this rate,  and he wasn't going away.  I didn't want to kill it, but I didn't want to be cooked, either!! Hating what I was having to do, I nevertheless drew my bow and nocked an arrow,  aiming at it's throat.  The arrow zinged on it's way and hit it's mark. The dragon wheeled away,  probably more stunned by my nerve,  than hurt.  He came in for the kill again. I had changed position and he hadn't corrected for that, and my arrow caught him in the chest, directly in the heart.

  When a dragon is mortally wounded they raise their necks high, as if gasping for the last bit of air they can catch, and then collapsing onto the ground with a resounding crash, dirt spraying up around them...then the silence....the quiet...even the birds have stilled.  I slowly walked toward him, making sure that he wasn't moving.

  As I drew close to him,  I did not feel a triumph of conquering;  I did not feel pride.  I felt sorrow and sadness.  I reached out an touched him, trying to feel a connection with his departing spirit. I dropped my head and grieved;  a tear falling free.

  Did he have a mate back at his cairn, watching for his return?  Did he have young, waiting...waiting...

                                   I grieved....would you?

40 comments:

  1. Aw... yes, I'd grieve, although I'd have done the same for that lovely buck. This was a very vivid and beautiful tale, thank you - and Kyne's Peace be with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes I would have also. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. I forgot I had a different name here, lol - I'm Michelle (4rantic41sh on youtube). I do really enjoy your stories, you've inspired me to try my hand at writing again :)

      Delete
    3. OMG I'm so glad you told me. The way people change their names, half the time I don't know who I'm talking to and it makes it so confusing, and impossible to get know someone. That's why I keep the Shirley part of my name everywhere.

      Delete
    4. Oh the derp is strong with me today... I replied to you somewhere below, somehow... (MichTheFish again :)

      Delete
  2. This was wonderful, I could see it vividly great writing Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me cry. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally decided to come back and look at these today and am so sorry I hadn't commented to so many people! Thank you Jen!! I'm so glad that you enjoyed my story that much!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh I can imagine, you've got so many people commenting at you now! I'll remember to identify myself in future so you know it's me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma Shirley! You have such beautiful writing. A few weeks back I asked if you would read some of your writing and you reminded me you had a blog! I'm SO GLAD I checked this out! There is so much emotion and descriptive imagery in your writing, I feel as if I'm in the story myself. Those poor dragons.. beautiful creatures while at the same time viscous and fierce.. always getting themselves into a fight. It's a shame they have to die, but I guess in the world of Skyrim it's either kill or be killed!

    Thanks again for the great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for being here! And thank you for taking this to YT. I have a link to here in the descriptions but no one ever seems to read that! LOL Thank you again. And I will read some of my writing. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my, yes I'm one of those who never saw the link to this wonderful blog. I've found it now! Is there no end to your talents? My grandmother use to make up wonderful stories when we went on long drives the summers I visited. This, and your video reading reminds me so much of her. Feeling a little misty eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GMa, =)

    It is always incredible to me the amount you get done! I was just clicking thru the old blogs, after your reading today of some original work. I had no idea any of these were still active!

    If you have encountered the world of fan-fiction; it is a fascinating place.

    This is great. ^^

    JC ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered before, so I will ask you now; When people talk about fan-fiction what exactly are they referring to? Is it a concept, a place to post fiction writing, or what? You say "IF I have encountered the world of fan-fiction...is this Blog fan-fiction?

      Delete
    2. Hi Shirley! This is late, but according to the dictionary, fanfiction is "fiction written by a fan of, and featuring characters from, a particular TV series, movie, etc." So, basically people take existing works, of which they are fans of, and write their own stories based on it it. Hope that helps :D

      Delete
    3. Sorry I'm so late..Thank you Mangogo!!! I understand now!!

      Delete
  8. Such lovely adventures you have, though this one was slightly sad they are all wonderfully written! :) I can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog today from your channel, and although you haven't used it in a while I just have to say I can't believe how well-written your stories are. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I was in bed the other night and was thinking about something I wanted to write in my other blog. I should get at it, and something in this one too. lol

      Delete
  10. I don't know what I expected when I came here but crying wasn't it. Still-this was a beautiful if sad story. You're a wonderful writer, Grandma Curry (if it's OK that I call you that). Thank you for sharing your adventures both literary as well as visual. You're a wonderful person and both this world and Skyrim are much better off for your being in them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Shirley,this was a vivid and exciting account of taking down a magnificent dragon. This very story is one reason Skyrim will always be a favorite of mine. It grabs you and pulls you into Tamriel and you truly feel as if you live there.This story did the same for me,makes me want to jump out of bed and start a new character l. Sorry i didn't find this sooner. Raine ��

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Raine for a lovely comment!! I love living in beautiful Skyrim...my home away from home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shirley you should be an author! I really loved the description of the dragon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm writing a book now which I am reading to everyone on my YouTube channel each week as I'm writing it. And thank you!!

      Delete
  14. I am a frustrated author!! LOL That's why I roleplay stories out of my head in Skyrim! I don't have the patience to sit and write as much as I should to be an author. All though I have many 'starts'. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gram, oh my gosh! I actually teared up- I felt the sorrow! Fantastic writing, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that same thing when I'm watching other people!! Thanks for enjoying it that much!! :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Shirley, I'm a television producer interested in chatting with you about appearing on a show. Please let me know the best way to connect to discuss further. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I'm sorry. I'm not doing much of that anymore.

      Delete
  17. Hi Shirley! I just want to say my friend really enjoys your videos, But he was recently diagnosed with diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he enjoys them!! But I am sorry to hear about his diabetes!! Can he take enough care with his diet, etc. to get it under control? I hope!

      Delete
  18. Good morning Shirley,
    MomInvadesFun/GMomInvadesFun
    here, I loved your story.
    As always, watching your Videos & now, reading you blogs, I want to jump on my Skyrim game & relax for a while. Keep story telling & be well! GmaSue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you for coming here!! I'm sorry I've been so long getting back here on my Blog!!! I posted again today!! lol

      Delete
  19. Awesome story! especially the end "I grieved . . . would you?" what a powerful question to leave the reader with. Awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete